Can't Wait to Be Home...

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 347: Journey Home

As I am sitting here in my temporary hotel room here in Dallas, I finally have a chance to chronicle the first leg of my journey home...


July 3rd: First stop, a 10 minute Chinook helicopter ride to Forward Operating Base Salerno. As I was ordering a Subway sandwich, a rocket attack occurred. I hit the quickly hit the ground and pulled a civilian reporter down with me who was also in line ordering a sandwich. I think she was mad because I may have reaggravated a prior knee injury...one of the hazards of being out here I guess!



July 4th: I then caught a Black Hawk helicopter ride from Salerno to Bagram Air Field (BAF). A very scenic flight. I wish I had pictures. While at BAF I enjoyed a DQ Butterfinger Blizzard as well as 4th of July celebration lunch before flying out to my next destination...


July 5th: Kuwait...I've never been there before, but all I could think of is HEAT! I think it was 120 degrees there. It was not that exciting of a stop...lots of paperwork, briefings, customs, and crowded transient tents. The coolest thing there was a large concrete barrier of the Guam flag...reminds me of home!


July 6th: All I have is 2 words. FIRST CLASS! I finally scored some first class seating on the plane home from Kuwait to Dallas. Ahhhh...now I see what all the fuss is about. Plush leather seating with Lazy Boy recliner features, talk about comfort. Included a nice sunset view as we flew over Germany.



The first half of my journey home ended with a warm homecoming by some very grateful Dallas residents. As we walked out of baggage claim we were greeted by loud cheers, balloons, handshakes, cameras, and even candy bars. For a moment, I felt like a celebrity:) Above is a picture with some very enthusiastic kids...

Man I'm beat! Can't wait for tomorrow...Guam here I come!

1 comment:

rochelle said...

Mike, congratulations on going home! I think I saw this group on 20 minutes...they go out every day and thank the soldiers. I hope this homecoming touched your heart. I'm sure it touched theirs as well. Thank you for the time you served.