Can't Wait to Be Home...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 406: Gear Drop

I wanted to share one of the most exhilarating days of the whole deployment...GEAR TURN IN DAY! I finally returned all the combat army stuff that was given to me, the knives, canteens, gas masks, gloves, shirts, pants, cold weather clothing, extreme cold weather clothing, wet weather clothing, extreme wet weather clothing, extreme cold & wet weather clothing, fire retardant uniforms, body armor, boots, gloves, goggles, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, hiking packs, duffle bags...EVERYTHING! Check out some of the action.


An overview shot of the whole process

So excited to give it all back!

...I know that 500 dollar flashlight is in here somewhere!?!


Found It! That was close...

With a huge sigh of relief, and a few days from being reunited with Gemma and the kiddos, I'm as high as a kite on marijuana. At this point I'm trying to relax and enjoy the downtime. The journey is almost over and I know many of you are right there alongside me for the finish...

I hope many of you have been encouraged or touched by the deployment stories as it was only in knowing that I had family and friends supporting me did I make it through. I also hope that you have been blessed by the Scriptural references as they possess great power and wisdom essential to our daily existence. I know they kept me alive!

In sharing my experiences and bringing this exciting life chapter to a close, I now realize that trials are a fact of life and not an arbitrary run of bad luck. Trials hit us often when we least expect it and usually at a time no where near impeccable. My advice is to embrace it. Know that these seemingly life-altering, energy-depleting, earth-shattering events are mere inconveniences when you look at the big scheme of things. God allows trials for the purpose of maturing us, and to prepare us for a life that pales in comparison to this one.

"For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
II Corinthians 4:17,18 NASB


4 comments:

Deigram said...

Hi Mike! YAY! Whoo-hoo! You're almost home! :) I just wanted to let you know that I've followed your blog since it started. I have enjoyed reading your posts. I'm sorry that I've never left a comment though. (Bad friend I am...) However, please know that your posts have been a constant source of inspiration to me--the way that you see God's hand in everything and then turn it into words for us to read. Your positive outlook despite all that is happening around you makes my own trials seem so insignificant. For this I thank you! Praying for your safe return to Gemma and the kids. Hope to see you one of these days. Take care, Marge

Gemma said...

i'm relieved to know we don't have to store all that stuff in our house! ...we'll be waiting for you at the finish line!!! ;*

Kyle said...

I am so excited for you!! The finish line is so close!! Will you ever have to go back on another tour or is this it? How long will you have to live in Guam for?

Stephen said...

Thanks for your service, son. I'm an older "cold war" Navy vet and I never miss an opportunity to thank those who are doing their honorable duty now.
GOD is good, may He bless you!

Stephen Kappesser
Joppa, Md.

www.grandpastephenspage.blogspot.com