Can't Wait to Be Home...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 246: The Egg

I apologize for going without an entry for 10 days, but sometimes things aren't as blogworthy as I would like them to be. Well, today I have something worth archiving on the good old blog.

In early Feb, I blogged about an IED casualty that we cared for in our medical clinic. Luckily, he only had minor injuries and did very well. He's a very nice gentleman who is a civilian contractor for a company responsible for providing security around various construction projects here in Afghanistan. Well, he recently returned from leave, which he spent at home in South Africa, and approached me to present a thoughtful gift of appreciation...let me digress for a moment.

Thoughtful gestures from patients are a rarity. More often than not, I have dealt with patients who can be demanding, needy, self-centered, or simply downright horrible. So one may ask, "How do you continue to do what you do?", and my answer to that would be in those few patients that have taken the time to remind me just how much of a difference I have made in their lives as result of my medical care.


...back to my story. What he presented to me was a beautifully painted, hollowed-out ostrich egg from South Africa with some very intricate artwork placed all over the egg. I thought it was the coolest thing! In addition to the gift, I had the pleasure of hearing such kind words of appreciation, but more importantly, I was reminded of the very reason why I was sent here and the differences I've been able to make.

"Pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5:17,18 NASB

2 comments:

Gemma said...

What a great patient! and a beautiful gift, too!

Erika said...

Mike, you deserve 100's of eggs!! :) that's a really cool story. God is working through you in fascinating ways ~