Can't Wait to Be Home...

Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 247: DFAC

Nothing is more important to a base that it's dining facility aka "the D-FAC" (dee-fak). Soldiers, both ANA & US alike, see the D-FAC as a place where both physical and social needs are thoroughly met. Where else can you experience a warm & welcoming atmosphere, a hot meal, a succulent desert, and a nice conversation with fellow soldiers...the D-FAC is a deployed soldier's home away from home.

In an effort to maintain standards of cleanliness, one of the roles of an Afghan National Army (ANA) medical provider is to inspect the D-FAC in regards to the food and the people that are involved in preparing it. Probably the least favorite thing that I do with my ANA counterpart.

Colonel Shah Zad Gul stressing the importance of
cleanliness with the employees


We periodically do spot inspections of the employees' uniforms, shoes (I make sure they simply have them on!), face masks, hair nets, food handling techniques, and overall cleanliness of the cooking/preparation areas. Let me take you on an inspection tour...

Onions

Probably one of the more intriguing food preparation areas is the onion-cutting section. This is primarily due to the fact that none of the employees seem to cry when cutting up all of those onions. Man, I recall cutting a small onion at home and literally balling my eyes out after I was finished. The Afghan response to my question, "Do you cry when cutting those?", was "Afghans don't cry!"

Greens

Rice Rice Baby...


Motivation to become Vegetarian!

Several times have I been invited to dine with them in the D-FAC, and several times have I respectfully declined...I'm running out of excuses to avoid a meal there! Actually, the facility is very clean, but I find myself losing my appetite after walking through the large cooking area...perhaps it's the meat cutting section?!?

After the spot inspection I couldn't help but think about grabbing a bite to eat. Perhaps In-N-Out, Taco Bell, or a pizza...oh wait...I'm in Afghanistan:(

"Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred."
Proverbs 15:17 NASB

1 comment:

Gemma said...

hmmm... so how does this compare to the U.S. D-FAC? perhaps, another scenario where "ignorance is bliss"! :P