Can't Wait to Be Home...

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 176: Soccer Ball Faith

Today, we saw 45 patients today in our local national clinic, and the clinic went very well. We were able to improve the clinic flow as well as the distribution of humanitarian assistance items resulting in a less stressful, more enjoyable time.


I had to add the picture above. Here is the ANA Security Commander placing shoes on what looks to be a bundle of clothes disguised as a human being! Gotta love the kids:)


I decided to allow a handful of soccer balls to be distributed to local Afghans...man are they a hit, and man can kids beg and beg and beg and beg...and beg. To be fair, and to keep myself from being tackled, I allowed my Afghan Army Security Commander to pass out the soccer balls. What was touching to me was how he came to picking the lucky children. He chose to give the balls to the children who had lost their fathers during this conflict against the Taliban. I was really touched and thought that it made for a very fair decision to give it to those boys. Check out our picture above as these boys sport their new athletic look!

Thinking about those boys I couldn't help but think of the possibility of being forever separated from Gemma, Max, and Maya. To many of you back home, I'm sure that every news blurb, heard or seen, about a bomb going off in Afghanistan is a strong reminder of just how dangerous this war in Afghanistan really is. Being right in the middle of it, I have prayed that my fear be turned into faith, and the Lord has seen me through some very intense experiences. Isn't it wonderful that we serve a God who watches and protects us always? Thoughts from a soccer ball...

"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9 KJV

1 comment:

Gemma said...

what a wise man that commander is. we miss you!!