Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 177: Resilience

If I had to choose one word to describe the days events I would choose the word, resilience. Defined as, "having the power to return to it's original form after being stretched, bent, compressed, or altered in any way; to recover readily from adversity".



Dining Facility 0700 this morning...

Last night, at approximately 1030PM, our base was attacked by a rocket which destroyed a wall in our dining facility. Just 2 nights ago I was watching the presidential inauguration and grabbing a snack along the exact same wall that was blown up. Scary when I think about it. Also, I sleep only a few hundred yards away from this building. Actually, I'm doing OK...it all happened so fast, a loud boom, a bum rush for the bunkers, and a sigh of relief. Praise the Lord no one was hurt. The amazing story to come out of all this is to see how quickly we can exercise our resiliency. You see, we as Americans are not very accepting of defeat, we were not going to allow this seemingly depressing situation bring us down.



Dining Facility 1230 this afternoon!!

In a matter of hours, our beloved KBR civilian contractors were on the job. Their sole mission, to take care of the soldiers and maintain the morale of the troops through their food services and base maintenance services (electrical, woodworking, engineering, janitorial, etc...), and this particular group on Camp Clark in nothing short of legendary. Rumored to be one of the best and most skilled KBR units in Afghanistan, they were put to the test. And you can see from the pictures above, they were determined to serve lunch in the very dining hall that was destroyed only hours before. Well guess what...I didn't have to take a to-go box!

Sitting here thinking about the last 24 hours, I thought of all the ways God has tried his people...Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Job, David, Daniel, Peter, Paul all come to mind...all men of faith, all men of burdensome trials, all men of great resilience. And now I find myself realizing that He is trying me, allbeit in ways seemingly unimaginable. He continues to steer my faith through bends and stretches in every direction, but through His strength have I found myself unwavering and resilient to my faith in Him.

To my beloved family & friends, please believe me when I say that I thank you for all the prayers that you send up to heaven every day. From the pictures above, please know and believe that they are continually being answered.

"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13,14 NKJV


Italic

6 comments:

Morgan said...

WOW! So glad you're safe, Mike. I'm praying for you every day!!!

Gemma said...

Mahal, you are a man of faith, too. And an inspiration to me! just remember to think twice before heading out to the caf for a late night snack, please!

Rhona said...

Mike... "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Colossians 4:6-7
always praying for you (your team), Gemma, and your precious children!

GBerto said...

"My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, You save me from violence." 2 samuel 22:3

I'm praying for you man.

linda said...

I am so glad you are okay. Justin and you are in my prayers.
A friend, Linda

Fly on the Wall said...

Hey Mike,

Glad that you are safe man. I just got on your blog again. BE SAFE. Sounds like you are doing some amazing things. You are an inspiration. Keep it up. Hope you get to see your family soon. God be with you.

Eric