Can't Wait to Be Home...

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 260: Salerno

There is a term that we use on the FOB (Forward Operating Base), "fobbit". This is a label for those troops who never leave the base...ever. They are FOB-bound due to the nature of their duties or they are just plain scared of going outside the wire. Well, for the last 4 months I have been labeled a "fobbit" as I have kept myself on the FOB as the only medical provider on the entire post outside of the medics. Well, the time has come where I have just about gone stir crazy and it was time for a change of scenery, so I bid my medics farewell and took a day trip to FOB Salerno. It was a time to clear my head, but I also had a mission in mind - to meet with the medical folks at the Combat Support Hospital (CSH) as I have been working with them during Medevacs and other urgent consultations. It was time to match a face with the voices that I have been working with over the phone. So here goes the journey...



Monster Truck Action - The Cougar Ambulance!


Radio Check!

Here I am strapped in and ready to roll! Gotta check out the cool headphones...communication inside the vehicle is very important. If only we had a TV and DVD player!


Upon arrival, which was a 45 minute drive through the dangerous city of Khowst, I made my way to the CSH where I met the CSH Commander Col O'Connel and her medical staff. A very nice group of medical professionals which included administrators, surgeons, an internist, and a lab officer. I even had a chance to check out the orthopaedic surgeon in action in the OR!


I call this photograph - "Rod in Leg"


My Surgical Safety Nets


After a tour of the CSH, I decided to offer them a sneak peak at the Cougar Ambulance as they have never seen let alone sit inside such an impressive piece of medical equipment. Without any hesitation they were out there, cameras in hand, ready for a photo op! We all had a great time. It was nice to


Col O'Connel (top right) and the CSH Crew

Apart from my visit to the CSH, the rest of the day was spent in a state of therapeutic relaxation. There's just something about a change in scenery that puts the mind at ease...aaaah!

"For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall"
Ephesians 2:14 NASB

1 comment:

Gemma said...

so glad you had such a pleasant day "out" and even more so that you made it back on base safely! :) i love you!