Can't Wait to Be Home...

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 272: Life

Gemma and I just started dating and we were walking from anatomy class along a path lined with rose bushes. The roses were beautiful and in full bloom. I noticed that Gemma was very enthusiastic and appreciative of the beauty and fragrance that the flowers had to offer. But I, on the other hand, was looking forward to...lunch. She asked me if I wanted to take a whiff, and I gave her the genius answer of "not really" which was then followed by what I vaguely remember as one of our first arguments.

I'm sure one can imagine how it went ...."Why don't you want to smell the flowers, aren't they just gorgeous"..."They're alright...I just don't smell flowers"..."But, I like flowers"..."That's great, enjoy the flowers and I'll just stand right here and wait for you to get your fix."..."You may not like the flowers, but I like flowers...don't you get it?"..."Get what?"..."You don't appreciate me"..."What are you talking about?"..."THE FLOWERS"...(me scratching my head, and Gemma giving me the evil eye).

That little argument taught me several things. First, I learned that if your girlfriend is passionate about something such as an object, a hobby, a talent, a project, or an extracurricular activity...then you support her 100%, even if it hurts. Second, I learned that life's simplest pleasures, such as flowers in the beginning of Spring, can easily go unnoticed especially when life is seen as a never-ending checklist of things to do and accomplish.


If there was something that the Afghan soldiers were passionate about, it was flowers in the Spring. These last few weeks were spent digging, planting, watering, and waiting in hopes of a beautiful Springtime rose bloom. Sometimes I wondered if they were more interested in their planting than their daily duties. Well, for some reason as I was walking to the ANA clinic, which is my usual daily routine, I noticed the roses in bloom. And guess what....I stopped and took the time to appreciate them the way Gemma had shown me. In doing so, the roses reminded me that even in a country that is plagued by war and corruption...there is a strength and beauty that still exists in this country which gives it life.

Me, TSgt Putman (one of my medics), Basir (interpreter), and Colonel Shah Zadgull (my counterpart) enjoying a beautiful day

Today, I literally took the time to stop and smell the roses, and I even decided to have our daily mentoring discussions outside as the flowers were so beautiful. Honestly, this was one of the most peaceful, life-is-good moments of my deployment. Thanks Gemma for the life lesson:)

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10 NIV

2 comments:

Gemma said...

*sniff* Ahhh... What a trip down memory lane! I couldn't have asked for a better partner to savor life's beauty with me. And your idea to have your meeting outside was *brilliant*! Can't wait to smell the roses together again. :) I LOVE YOU!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Mike for your awesome story. You and your family are in my prayers. Sonya Raymond