Can't Wait to Be Home...

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 316: Oasis

Oasis

a small fertile area in a desert region, usually having a spring or well
OR
something serving as a refuge, relief, or pleasant change from what is usual, annoying, difficult


When I first arrived in country and found out that I was coming to Camp Clark, people always referred to Clark as the base rumored to have a swimming pool. As if it was some mystical oasis with magical healing powers. I guess when you see where Khowst is on a map of Afghanistan...we really are in the middle of nowhere which would make a swimming pool more of an impossibility.


Check Out my Toy Rocket!

Well, let me dispell all the speculation and rumors for everyone. The pool exists! We had the grand opening today, and we had a blast. In more ways than one has this pool served as an oasis both as a rare find in the middle of the desert, but also as a refuge from the daily reminders that we are in a war. For the 15 minutes that I was in the pool, I felt like I was on a resort vacation...aahh...what a feeling. You know, it's seemingly little things like a quick dip in a swimming pool that goes a long, long, long way to boosting morale on a deployment. Whatever I can do to get through the day, I'll take it!

I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys.
I will turn the desert into pools of water,
and the parched ground into springs.
Isaiah 41:18 NIV

1 comment:

Justin said...

Looks fun. Maybe I'll come out for a visit.