Can't Wait to Be Home...

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 198: Insha'Allah

...translated "If God Wills" or "God Willing" is a popular Muslim expression. This expression, in Afghan culture, symbolizes an attitude, a way of life that defines the people of Afghanistan. A life approached with the thought that if things were meant to be done, they will be done in their own time or "If God Wills". In secularized America, that would be referred to as being "laid back".

This approach to life has driven me nuts as a type-A, results-oriented, go-go-go physician. Here is what I mean...

Dr. Mercado - "When are we going to clean the medical supply warehouse which is in complete disarray?"

Afghan Counterpart - "Insha'Allah"

Dr. Mercado - "When are we going to begin our medical classes?"

Afghan Counterpart - "Insha'Allah"

Dr. Mercado - "When are you going to order more medical supplies for the clinic?"

Afghan Counterpart - "Insha'Allah"

Dr. Mercado - "When are you going to clean those filthy patient restrooms?"

...and hence the hair-pulling begins.

Yet on the other hand, this approach has really taught me something. What amazes me about the "Insha'Allah" approach to life is that it pervades Afghan thinking while they continue to tolerate a country plagued by corruption, war, destruction, and injustice. "Insha'Allah" supports the perspective that all things: material things, money, job success, family, even death are the result of the will of an all-knowing, all-powerful God, and a will that supercedes their own personal desires.

In contrast, we as Americans, myself included, often see life as a huge checklist of things that need to get done in the least amount of time, yet we often forget to slow down and just enjoy our God-given gift of freedom and democracy. Our appreciation for even the simplest of things: friends, family, air, food, safety, education, health, God...are lost in our self-inflicted burden for increased productivity.

Perhaps, a little dose, or even a large dose of "Insha'Allah", may help us put life into a little better perspective where the will of an all-loving God supercedes our own.


Above is a picture of my interpreter Latif (left) and one of the medics, Ayub (right) preferring a prolonged session of male-bonding and hand-holding rather than getting back to work. I guess we'll get to work eventually..."Insha'Allah"!

"I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me." John 5:30 NKJV

No comments: