Can't Wait to Be Home...

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 205: Medevac

Since being out here I have been involved in the care of numerous casualties related to explosives. Although I'm not an adrenaline junkie, I must admit that there is a side of me that gets excited. Heart pounding rapidly, the smoldering anticipation, the rapid preparations made for a multi-victim trauma, and diving right into treating the soldiers who are fighting this war...that's the excitement of being a physician in a combat zone.

Without giving away specifics, I just wanted to show you some pictures from our most recent trauma case as this resulted in a Medevac (Medical Evacuation)!

The patient was part of a routine patrol in the Khost-Gardez or "KG" Pass when they were hit by a roadside improvised explosive device (IED) not too far from our base. There were multiple victims but only one was sent to me. We treated him for minor head trauma, shrapnel in his leg, and a large cut right next to his right eye which concerned me. This prompted my decision to ask for Medevac to ensure that his eye and head were thoroughly evaluated since I have no fancy slit lamps (for eye trauma) or CT scanners (for head trauma).


Coincidentally, we had a visiting Chaplain that day and he wandered into the clinic helping us out. Here is a shot of him praying over the patient. I thought this was a peaceful moment just before we transported the patient to the LZ (aka landing zone).


Here are a few of my medics keeping the patient comfortable as we transported the patient in the not-so-comfortable ambulance.


There was the helo waiting for us at the primary landing zone ready to fly. I put this picture in here for Maxwell...he loves helicopters! After a bumpy ride in our ambulance, we arrived at the primary LZ and quickly brought the patient over to the helicopter. It was cool indeed...


One of my favorite shots...just after the helo left. Just another day at the office!

To add closure to yet another blogger adventure, I just wanted to add that the patient ended up doing very well. No permanent injuries and he is already up and going about his business. Mission accomplished!!

1 comment:

Gemma said...

you've saved the day again, Dr. Mercado! great helicopter shot, too. Max really enjoyed it. :)