Can't Wait to Be Home...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 377: Peace

Well I'm back in deployment mode (sort of) and ready to take on these next few weeks before finally going home:) Things have been rather slow around here as I have already passed on most of my responsibilities onto the new medical provider who arrived just before I left on leave. I actually feel rather out of place being unemployed.

Today, was actually fun as we opened up the doors of the Camp Clark Community Clinic once again to distribute the much desired humanitarian supplies in the form of school supplies, shoes, food, and water. As I stood and watched the kids with their enthusiastic smiles and infectious energy I realized that I never got to catch even a few seconds of it on video.


What you hear them saying is, Walaikum Salaam translated "And unto you, peace" , a response to the typical Muslim greeting of Salaam Alaikum - which means "Peace be unto you".


I've repeatedly used this greeting not realizing that what I was saying was so much more than a mere "hello". I was wishing them something that they have been longing for, something that I am here fighting for. As I reflect back on the things that I've accomplished during this arduous deployment I can only hope that the work that has been done here will bring them ever so closer to a life full of peace.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 NASB

1 comment:

Mom Miranda said...

So touching... whatt an impact you made in the lives of the Afghan people especially the children!
I cannot be any more proud of and grateful to all that you've done!
Waiting for you next and final return! God bless you always!
Love,
Bakersfield Mom