Can't Wait to Be Home...

Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 383: Meritorious Service

Being in the Navy for more than 5 years I have seen many awards ceremonies for sailors. As a medical officer, I noticed that military decorations don't come along too often for young Navy physicians as up to this point my Navy uniform is essentially bare. Well, my time has finally come. In exchange for being away from family, friends, and being in harms way for a prolonged period of time...I get to have my first military decorations presented to me. In a way, I was reminded of the feelings that I felt during previous graduations, the sense of accomplishment, the sacrifice, the hard work, and the thoughts of the future that lies ahead.

As part of my blog entry, I went ahead and posted the official citation of the 2 personal awards I was given.


THE MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL


For exceptionally meritorious service while deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom as the Camp Clark Medical Officer in Charge and Combat Clinical Operations Advisor, Afghan Regional Security Integration Command-East, Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan. Lieutenant Mercado's tireless efforts, dedication, professionalism, and clinical acumen greatly contributed to the health and welfare of Camp Clark personnel, and the overall success of the Brigade's mission. His performance of duty in a combat zone reflects great credit upon himself, the Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan, the United States Central Command, and the United States Navy.


MILITARY OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL

For selfless service, and volunteering over 600 hours of his time in care of the people Khowst, Afghanistan. Lieutenant Mercado prepared an abandoned building for use as a medical clinic and humanitarian distribution center for villages in the Nadir Shah Kot district. He coordinated medical care, as triage, pharmacy, and humanitarian aid coordinator, to over 2000 local nationals and distributed over 20 tons of humanitarian assistance over an 11 month period. His tireless efforts led to the donation of an additional 10 tons of supplies in direct support of the humanitarian efforts of the clinic, local Shuras, and Spera COP which has made a lasting impact on the relations between the local populace and the Afghan National Security Forces. His volunteer service in support of the Afghan community and combined counterinsurgency efforts reflects distinct credit upon him, the Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan, the Central Command, and the United States Navy.


A post-awards ceremony picture with my good friend,
Verdell Mitchell



The LORD has dealt with me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.
Psalms 18:20 NIV

1 comment:

Gemma said...

You have made us proud and brought glory to God!
"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --Matthew 5:16