Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 401: Happy Birthday Maya!


If you were to ask me what the most significant, life-changing event I had experienced this past year was...it would have nothing to do with my career, deployment adventures, awards, or promotions. But, it would have everything to do with the most precious baby girl that came into my life on August 28, 2008 just several weeks before I had to leave for Afghanistan.



Through pictures and the technological miracle of web cam, I have been able to watch my little girl reach her developmental milestones this past year all culminating with the celebration of her first birthday. From her first smile, to watching her crawl, then sit up, eat solid food, and eventually walk...I have been blessed with the experience of being a proud papa despite being thousands of miles away.


I still recall the moment I held her in the airport when I came home for R&R, and watching her as she looked into my eyes trying to recognize me. She didn't cry, she didn't even ask for mommy, she just stared at me as if she knew I was someone that she could trust. One of those daddy moments:)



Knowing that I will be able to hold her again in a matter of days has made this birthday that much more special for me.


Maya, I love you so much. Daddy's deployment is almost over and I'll be able to be with you for so many more birthdays to come. I hope to help you grow into a beautiful young lady who will fear God and love others. Happy 1st Birthday!

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in the truth."
3 John 1:4 KJV

3 comments:

Kyle said...

So happy to hear that you are coming home soon!!!

us said...

Mike-- thank you for your service. I enjoyed reading your blog (linked from Gemma's FB). Congratulations on your award. Thank you seems so shallow for all the sacrifices you have made. God bless you! Hope you can see your family soon. Blessings! Dean & Lian Funada (LLJC)

Gemma said...

Dear Daddy,

Just as the children of God recognize their Father, so shall I know you as mine. You coming home will be the best birthday present EVER!!!

Love,
Maya