Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 40: Home on the Range

This week was a bit more challenging as we spent almost 30 consecutive hours on a shooting range familiarizing ourselves with a variety of HUMVEE-mounted machine guns and foreign rifles (none of which I will be using when I get to Afghanistan). While many soldiers seemed to be getting a rush out of firing the machine guns...I cringed at the thought of handling them let alone learning how to assemble, disassemble, clean, and operate them. As a naval officer and someone who's last "weapon" was a Super Soaker...this is totally weapons overload!! I will spare you the painful details of a typical range day and leave you with a few pictures...

A view of "the Range"

Team Navy/Air Force patiently waiting our turn

MREs...Meals Ready to Eat or Meals Refusing to Exit?

"Then David said the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel'..."
I Samuel 17:45 NKJV

2 comments:

Erika said...

Mike! Hello, somehow my first comments were lost...anyways, I was just looking at your blog site. I have enjoyed your updates - man you guys are working hard! makes those MREs taste good...or maybe not:)
anyways, we stopped by to meet your baby girl, what a sweetie! (she looks like mom!) We eagerly look forward to being with you guys in Guam. Our prayers and thoughts are with you my friend. Happy Sabbath! May His unfailing strength always be with you.
love, Scott & Erika

Gemma said...

I've taken for granted the privilege I've had to make you dinner every night for the past 4 years! ;) Wish I could pack you an extra special MRE. By the way, I've still got my tix to the gun show! I love you!