Can't Wait to Be Home...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 58: Communication

I remember my first painful few days as a medical student as it sounded something like this...

"I have Mr. Smith who is in his 80s. He has heart problems, kidney failure, diabetes. He has a wife...did I mention he was on was on blood pressure medications. He had breakfast this morning. He had labs done today...I have them here somewhere. Oh did I mention that surgery was consulted. And by the way, I almost forgot to mention he had chest pain this morning, and also a fever..."

I remember my first few days as a convoy commander on the radio as it sounded something like this...

"Umm...hello this is Boxkicker 1 (our call sign) I heard an explosion. I think it's an explosive ...maybe. Oh, did I say there was also gun fire. Not sure from which side...possibly both. Oh yeah...I also think we will need some help since our vehicle is blown up, and we are ambushed. I almost forgot we also have several wounded...this is Boxkicker 1 out, roger, noted, thanks. "

It now sounds something like this...

"All Boxkicker elements this is Boxkicker 1, received contact right, IED and small arms fire. Requesting vehicle recovery. We have 1 wounded, CLS in progress. 9-line medevac initiated and QRF requested. 1 out."

If there is one thing that I have taken from this training it would be understanding the importance of clear,concise, and frequent communication. Not only in the context of demonstrating proficiency using a radio, but also in the context of interacting with people. Poor communication causes relationships to fall, rumors to start, wars to be lost, and soldiers to be dead. Let's work on avoiding that...

"A soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it crushes the spirit."
Proverbs 15:4 NASB


"I'd like fries with that...over"


1 comment:

Justin said...

I'm glad you have perfected your radio lingo...I still have a long ways to go. I sound more like your first example than the second.