Can't Wait to Be Home...

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 100: Garrison

Garrison, defined as a body of troops in a fortified place, or a military post. In any movie, play, musical, or concert there are folks behind the scenes and then there are the star performers. In the military, there are those who are out there fighting the enemy and dodging bullets (Army, National Guard, and Marines predominantly), and there are those who ensure that home base is running smoothly...that's us...the good old Navy garrison.

As the garrison staff, which is run by Navy personnel, we are responsible for all things related to the base facilities. We ensure that the base is running smoothly which includes everything from the dining facility, Internet connections, living spaces, medical care (that's me), postal services, barber shop, mini-mart, the local bazaar, managing the interpreters...the list can keep going. Although our jobs require us to stay on the base, at times we do have to convoy "outside the wire" to surrounding bases for supply runs, postal pickups, and other various garrison errands. Not only do we have to keep our own base running smoothly, but we also spend our time on the Afghan Army base mentoring their garrison staff as well.


Today was our first staff meeting with the Afghan National Army (ANA) Garrison staff (these typically occur once a week on Sundays). It felt very official sitting around the huge conference table with our staff on one side listening intently, and the ANA Army garrison officers on the other...it made me feel very important:) During the meeting, each ANA officer gave their brief report, and then took the time to introduce themselves to their respective American military counterparts. Overall, I think the meeting went very well.

Don't laugh...yes, it does look like I was kept out the inner circle. In my defense, I had to take a phone call that was related to patient care...really...I truly love meetings:)

Our goal as a garrison team is to ensure that the Afghans know how to maintain a functional military post which in turn keeps the morale of the soldiers high. The quicker we can do that...the quicker we can ALL go home!

"My lovingkindness and My fortress; My high tower and My deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me. "
Psalm 144:2 NKJV

No comments: