Can't Wait to Be Home...

Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 108: Border Patrol

Today, I decided to take a break from my usual mentoring duties with the Afghan Army, and ventured out on a conop with the Afghan Border Police (ABP) and their US Army mentors. The Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) encompass several forces to include the Afghan National Army (ANA), Afghan National Police (ANP), and the Afghan Border Patrol (ABP). One of the biggest issues in Afghanistan is a lack of oversight of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. Many of the Taliban insurgents reside in Western Pakistan and they come and go freely across the Eastern and Southern Afghanistan border smuggling weapons, opium, and IED producing materials. This is why both the Eastern and Southern portions of the country are considered the most dangerous. The Taliban would love to be able to have a stronghold in these parts of the country. We hope the mentoring that we are providing to the ABP will deter the enemy's plans.


I was asked to tag along on this road trip because the ABP do not have an on-site medical provider. The poor Army medic has been getting inundated with coughs, colds, back pain, stomach pain, knee pain, headaches, toothaches, depression, and so on and so on...and some complaints have been well over his head. I thought this would be a great opportunity to help out these soldiers who don't have access to medical care.


When we arrived there was immediately a line of police officers and civilian workers. Everything I saw was essentially "bread and butter" acute care stuff with everything from back pain to reflux. Our most popular pharmaceutical treats included Tylenol, Zantac, and Dental hygiene kits. And just like most medical mission trips, the presence of a dentist would've been nice...there was a lot of teeth that needed pulling!

A civilian worker's son who was curious about my camera!

The most enjoyable part about all of this was that I didn't have to boot up an electronic medical record, write a note, or worry about official patient complaints or lawsuits. And everytime I saw a patient, they always left very grateful with what little medications and time that we had.


After a couple hours of "urgent care", we had lunch with Major General Molkheil, the ABP regional commander. I don't routinely hang out with generals so I definitely had a memorable experience. I apologize for the silly picture, but I couldn't resist! We had tasty Afghan food, which I am glad to say, has not affected the consistency or the transit time of my "No. 2's".

I would have to say that today proved to be a productive, fun-filled day. To be able to interact with and meet some of the basic medical needs of these ABP soldiers was indeed an honor and privelege.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise. Luke 10:36,37 KJV

2 comments:

Ms. J said...

Hi! I came across your blog, as I like to browse through the "next blog" entries and I thought I'd leave you a comment.
I hope those 300 more days or so go by quickly for you so you can see your family.

Gemma said...

who would've thought a day with the Border Patrol could be so fun?! kinda wish i could've helped you out in clinic... and joined your meal! ;)