Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 133: Responsibility

It's been a bummer to have the internet down for the last 4 days, although this week has been very busy. Today is my first day as the only physician on the FOB. I now have inherited both the TMC (Troop Medical Clinic), which serves the American troops, as well as the Afghan clinic. That translates into more meetings and administrative tasks, both which I detest immensely:(


The TMC Crew


The upside is that I get to run my own "shop", which is something I have never done before. I oversee 3 medics who help me maintain an appropriate amount of medical supplies, pharmaceuticals, and sanity. They also help me put together tactical first aid classes which are then given to the non-medical troops, the classes emphasize placement of IVs, tourniquets, and basic wound care. It's a good time!

Historically, my current job description has been a 2-person gig, but with such a shortage in medical manpower, I am temporarily forced to fly solo. I'm looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead as I am putting everything in the hands of someone whose ways are much higher than mine.

"For as the heavens are higher than the Earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:9 NASB

No comments: