Can't Wait to Be Home...

Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 136: CME

Continuing medical education or CME is an inevitability for us medical professionals which often requires us to attend expensive conferences or read not-so-interesting journals. Out here in Afghanistan, my job as the sole physician on base is to ensure that our troops also maintain their basic first aid skills through regular retraining. Today, the medics and I decided to conduct an IV placement and bandaging refresher course for some of our non-medical troops. I think medical training provides an invaluable contribution to mission readiness, and affords an opportunity for my medics to find the joy in educating others.


Class is in session!


Here I am obtaining "CME credits" as I stick my medic, Sr Airman Snyder, with an IV catheter. As opposed to my numerous attempts at Fort Riley, I avoided some embarrassment and nailed it on the first try! Good for me...great for Snyder.


Apparently, I've been shot in the groin and Captain Randall, with the assistance of Master Sergeant Davis is expertly placing a wound dressing to stop the bleeding. Just behind me, my medic is just being weird. Another typical day at the office:)




1 comment:

Gemma said...

i was thinking that your class would be one i'd like to sign up for... until that last demonstration of the groin wound care! keep up the great teaching, doc. ;)