Can't Wait to Be Home...

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 147: Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone! Although I am spending this holiday season away from Gemma, Maxwell, and Maya without the joy of opening gift-wrapped goodies, singing Christmas carols, or enjoying a Christmas service at church, I can still say that I had a very memorable holiday experience. Here are some highlights...


DFAC at X-mas

As you can see, a very festive dining facility (DFAC) with a wood-carved sleigh in the center and our senior enlisted advisor, Santa "Clauss" (his real last name) giving out presents. We had great food and had a wonderful time of Christmas feasting and fellowship.


Santa's Little British Helpers

Navy team on one side, Santa's Little Helpers on the other. Actually that's me sitting with our British allies who have been helping us with the Afghan mentoring mission as well. Great guys to work with, and they definitely know how to get into the holiday spirit!


A Christmas visit to the ANA clinic

Even though Afghans do not celebrate Christmas, they are familiar with the popular holiday and the traditions that come with it. They have seen the red Santa hats, the giving of gifts, and the mention of Jesus' birth. When I went to give them a box of Christmas goodies it was so nice to receive such warm Christmas greetings...one of the Afghan medics said to me, "I wish for you a Happy Christmas and Congratulations!" I thought that was pretty cool, especially coming from someone of an Muslim background.

Well to cap off the rest of my day, I spent time on the phone with mi familia, won a Christmas ping pong tournament, watched some home DVD footage courtesy of my brother-in-law George, and rummaged through a plethora of letters/cards from elementary school kids all around the US wishing troops a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I even wrote some of them back! I thought it was definitely a Christmas day to remember!

Merry Christmas everyone and may we continue to live the gift of Jesus every day.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." Matthew 1:21


No comments: