Can't Wait to Be Home...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 13: Hail to the Chiefs

The Big Chiefs

Among the enlisted ranks, the most significant promotion in one's career is from petty officer first class (E-6) to chief petty officer (E-7) or "chief". Becoming a chief has it's privileges as now they are entitled to better living quarters on a ship, private dining areas (the chief's mess), khaki dress uniforms (similar to commissioned officers), and more administrative responsibilities. They represent an elite group of enlisted sailors who have reached the pinnacle of their naval career. They lead by example and expect only the strongest sense of integrity and accountability from their young sailors. In a nutshell, chief petty officers are HARD CORE! Just look at the picture above.

I found Chief Fickens to be very friendly and approachable which is often atypical for chiefs. As I was walking by his bed I noticed he had a Bible. We began to chat about the Bible and shared verses that have been strengthening us through this pre-deployment experience. He told me his was Psalms 91 and I shared with him Isaiah 43:1-3 and Ephesians 3:20. Although it was only a few minutes I was quickly reminded at the opportunities that the Lord can give us to share his Word with others...even chiefs.

Chief Fickens

"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
--Isaiah 55:11 KJV

No comments: