Can't Wait to Be Home...

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day 20: Sabbath In Kansas

Today I was able to break away from training to attend church services today. As a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian, I believe that the Sabbath is a day that the Lord has set aside for physical rest, spiritual renewal, and time to experience the peace that comes from being a creation of God. On military facilities, a Saturday church service is virtually non-existent...fortunately I was able to find a church in nearby Manhattan, Kansas which is about 6 miles east of Fort Riley. I was blessed with a warm congregation, a meaningful sermon, and a great potluck! In sabbath school we discussed the joy that comes out of Christ's sacrifice for us, and the power that then enables us to live godly lives. The pastor preached on the necessity of ministry as a springboard for spiritual growth.

During the sermon I was immediately taken back to this past year recalling all of the wonderful ministry opportunities that the Lord had opened up to me while we were on Guam. Whether it was having energetic youth over for bible study, singing at church, praying with a patient, or spending time with Gemma and Maxwell...each one of these forms of ministry allowed me to experience an increased closeness in my relationship with Christ. My prayer for today is that we all continue to seek out ways in which we can be a minister for Christ...trust me, the "toil" is well worth it!

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain." I Corinthians 15:58 NASB

1 comment:

C Burton said...

Hey buddy, glad to hear Kansas treated you well while you were there. You are in my prayers.
Chris