Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 26: Combat Life Saver

My mind has been turning with excitement as I am only a few hours away from being reunited with Gemma, Max, and Maya! All the anticipation has made it a little more difficult to focus on my training, but I have continued to press on. The last few days have been spent on the Combat Life Saver Course or CLS. Most of the stuff I have learned is similar to topics I've learned in residency with the exception of learning how to use cool gadgets like high-speed tourniquets, Chitosan dressings, Quik Clot, and tension pneumothorax "darts". As a physician most people on my team assume that I am an "expert" in all this battlefield medic stuff...truth be told...not even close!


Chief Ciaponni aka Doc's Pin Cushion
Third Time's the Charm

Today was extra special as we had to start IVs on each other and everyone on my team wanted me to place their IV as I was the team "expert". It only took me 3 sticks to get my IV in...not bad for an MD. In my defense, those veins were very deep and I didn't have time for a rotation in IV placement.

My First IV!

Being on the receiving end of an IV was a nail-biter. I was victim to my team leader, Air Force Colonel Dickerson who has no medical experience whatsoever. On top of that he had just passed out while having his IV placed just 30 minutes before getting geared up to place mine. I couldn't wait to be stabbed in the arm with a large bore IV by a post-syncopal, diaphoretic, non-medical type. Good news...I didn't pass out.

Good Job Colonel!

No comments: