Can't Wait to Be Home...

Friday, October 10, 2008

Day 68: Familiar Places & Faces - Stockton

We decided to make a somewhat unscheduled visit to my home town of Stockton, CA so that Maya can meet some of my extended family. I would like to take a few moments to thank my wife who gave up her hair appointment to make this visit a reality...you're the best honey! It's about a 7 hour drive from Dana Point so we split the distance, and made a pit stop in Bakersfield before making our way further north to our final destination. We had a wonderful time reconnecting with my side of the family, and I especially enjoyed witnessing Maya meet many of her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and even great grandmother for the first time!


A family picture with cousins Gabriel, Carina, and Anisa. Max especially enjoyed the book they gave him entitled, "I'm a Big Brother".

After mandatory "picture time" came mandatory "party time" with Gabriel leading out in a body-contorting game of "Simon Says". I remember the days when I could do that!

Max enjoying a good book with grandpa (aka "lolo") Mercado, Shomi the cat, blue bear, and a tall glass of tasty soy milk. It doesn't get any better than this.

It's all about the Benjamins isn't it Max! Thanks great lola!!

Maya Lourdes meets Lola Lourdes

If there was anyone in my life that I truly admire it would be Lola Lourdes. She along with my late Lolo Max (does the name sound familiar?) came from a farming community in the province of Ilocos Sur, Phillippines. After successfully growing and selling their tobacco crop and eventually the remainder of their land, they made their way to America for a better life. They eventually settled in Stockton, and despite having no knowledge of the English language still managed to work - Lola at a Del Monte cannery and Lolo at local farm - well into their 70s! During that time they both managed to learn just enough English to take their citizenship exams and become US citizens. After retiring, they took on the task of helping care for my brother and I through the tumultuous years of toddler-hood and beyond. Most importantly, through their example I began to discover just how caring, resilient, hard-working, generous, and humble my grandparents were. It was their example that has taken me to where I am today.

So NO!..Lourdes, did NOT come from Madonna's daughter (apparently that's what makes the name somewhat popular) ...but, it did come from one of the most remarkable women in my life today.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Guess I know how you turned out so well--good examples and good genes. Sounds like Great lolo and lola are pretty neat people (and it looks like they give good presents too).

Rhona said...

Hey Mike, Happy Early Birthday! Sure glad you enjoyed your time with family and friends. Praise God for them all!
Prayers are with you, Gemma, Max, and Maya.
always, Rhona