Can't Wait to Be Home...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 79: Peace & Quiet

I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed a day dominated by peace and quiet. A majority of my fellow Navy sailors left for Afghanistan earlier this AM, and my sleeping area hasn't sounded this quiet in months! No yelling, no loud rap music, no laughing, no inebriated sailors, no doors slamming constantly, and no obnoxious re-runs of Martin (which seemed to be every one's favorite show to watch on their laptops back in Kansas). Just some of my 2 closest friends, "peace" and "quiet".

The Air Force seems to live quite nicely out here. They enjoy a 24 hour dining facility free access to not only their great hot food, but also free all-you-can-eat ice cream, candy bars (I already fell victim to Kit Kat), Nutri-grain bars, Pop Tarts, bottled water, fresh fruit...and the list goes on. They also have a great workout facility with full court basketball!! There's even a small movie theater and free all you can eat popcorn. It's like an all-expense-paid resort vacation...


I'm no Pulitzer prize-winning photographer, but here's the best picture I can get of a beautiful mountain range that serves as a backdrop for the air base. There are too many buildings, trees, and blast walls to obscure my view so this is as good as it gets.

"Be still and know that I am God..." Psalms 46:10

2 comments:

Justin said...

Enjoy Manas. If you have the option of stalling there, do it. It is nice and you will never see bins of candy bars again. Bring me a couple of KitKats.

George said...

Any chance you can send ME a care package back to the US? -george