Can't Wait to Be Home...

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 73: "Trust Me"

Today was tough. Today was the beginning of what will be a long and painful separation from everyone that is closest to me. I was, for lack of a better word, sad. But, the Lord always finds ways to comfort his children.

My Final Farewell at Bakersfield Airport

As I made my way to my plane and headed for Phoenix, then a connection to Denver, and finally to Kansas; I was greeted with a handshake by several people at each airport who thanked me for my "service". When I was at Denver Int'l Airport I spent a few minutes at the USO (a special lounge for military members), and I was given a small care package as a "thank you". Inside the care package I found various travel hygiene products, playing cards, gum, snacks...I also found a small stack of greeting cards/notes from people all over the country expressing deep appreciation and gratitude for our "service"


Each card I read and each handshake I returned was a tangible reminder that my "service" had a great and even divine purpose, and I found great comfort in that. It felt as if God was saying "Trust me", and Proverbs 3:5,6 came to mind.

Another encounter occurred the day prior, after receiving my final pre-deployment haircut. Gemma had sent me on a final mission to Target, and I then made a quick stop at Supercuts. As I was leaving, a Hispanic gentleman, about my age, walked up to me and asked for a donation. He explained to me that he was a former drug addict, and he was now a mentor at a Christian church-sponsored home for drug addicts seeking recovery. He was very passionate about his new experience in Christ which led to his victory over his addiction. As I reached to hand him some money I asked him if he had a favorite verse, and without any hesitation he recited this to me...

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 NKJV

Doesn't the Lord speak to us in mysterious ways and at the most opportune times? I think things are going to be alright.

1 comment:

Rhona said...

Dear Mike, "I will never leave you nor forsake you..." that's God's promise to you and all of us! He never breaks His promises.
thoughts and prayers for you on your journey. God bless you and your family!!!
Rhona