Can't Wait to Be Home...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 86: Perception

To all my beloved friends and family that are taking the time to follow me on this journey, I hope that this blog will serve as a source of strength for you as it has for me.

Today was my first day at work. Seeing Afghanistan with my own eyes and from the side of the military is a perspective that isn't accurately portrayed in the media. Yes, troops are dying, but that's only part of the story. The war on terrorism is not just a war of bullets, rockets, and armor. We as representatives of the United States and defenders of freedom are also rebuilding schools, installing wells, providing food, giving free medical care, and educating local nationals on basic sanitation and hygiene practices. Those are the most effective weapons we have against the Taliban. Doesn't it sound familiar...we, the United States military with all our military might, are using the simple, humble work of meeting the basic needs of the people as an agent for positive change!


Many of you have asked if I will be on the "front lines". Well, the war isn't quite like that. There isn't 2 large groups of people shooting and bombing each other constantly. That's not to say that my job is without the usual war-type dangers. Our mission in Afghanistan is to train and mentor the military and police to effectively defend it's citizens against the Taliban threat thereby strengthening confidence in the central government. This is a coalition effort that is shared with approximately 28 countries along side the United States. At the same time, we are assisting in many humanitarian missions, as I had mentioned earlier, in hopes of establishing a lasting infrastructure that would allow the country to be self-sustaining.

My job, specifically, involves mentoring and training the Afghan National Army ("ANA") medics and doctors in various patient care and clinic management skills. I will also be participating, along with the ANA, in community service clinics for local civilians such as the one we did today. Here are some snapshots of my first day.


As you can see, Afghans are very affectionate. Here's one of the medics that I'll be working with.

Aren't the children beautiful?


Here's picture time after clinic and rummaging through their goodie bags!

"Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it unto the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me." Matthew 25:40 NKJV






1 comment:

Gemma said...

i LOVE that pic of you and your Afghan medic! it's reassuring to know that you'll be getting your daily dose of tactile affirmation! wish i could be there give you the hugs myself. :) i love you!