Can't Wait to Be Home...

Monday, October 27, 2008

Day 85: Recap

I've finally made it to the Forward Operating Base ("FOB"...keep up with the acronyms!) where I will be working out of. I haven't had any phone or internet access for the last 4 days so I wanted to take the time to recap my crazy journey. As you all know, my previous post left me at Combined Joint Task Force Phoenix (CJTF Phoenix) which is the headquarters for Navy personnel in Afghanistan.

Here are some pictures of my flight out of Kabul on my first helicopter, a "Chinook", which was extremely fun, but as you can see very, very dusty when it landed. Check out the overhead view of the countryside!

I then landed in the village of Gardez where the headquarters for forces in the eastern region of Afghanistan is located. I pretty much hung out for three days without internet or phone access...but I definitely made use of my time.

Here I am hanging out at the TMC or Troop Medical Clinic where I met with Captain Marr one of the physician assistant's in charge of the clinic. He's a great guy with high energy...former infantry. We reviewed axillary wound dressings which he had me place on him...pretty impressive job if I do say so myself.

I also invested some time in getting my aid bag together with the help of the invaluable medics. As you can see I had lots of great help getting tourniquets, dressings, IV kits, and various other medical gadgetry organized in a way that allows for easy access. Now I'm ready to save some lives...I think.


I still had some time to play the tourist. Here I am taking in some of the sites from behind the blast wall. Here are deserted forts rumored to be built by either Genghis Khan or Alexander the Great nestled in the hills behind me.

Outside the FOB there's a tantalizing "bazaar" or marketplace where local nationals have the opportunity to peddle their wares to the "rich Americans". Examples of their inventory include imitation Oakley sunglasses, Rolex watches, pirated DVDs, or Gerber knives with prices that were subject to negotiation. There were also impressive hand-sewn rugs, blankets, marble carvings, jewels, and wood work which were all exquisite. Here I am with Mr. Muhammed who convinced me to purchase one of his gorgeous hand-sewn blankets at an unbeatable price! Man I'm an impulsive shopper.

Finally, after 3 days of waiting, the cavalry arrived. As much as 2nd helo flight would have been fun...this time it was going to be a 6 hour convoy through the infamous "KG Pass" (see pic above) arguably the most dangerous road in Afghanistan and essentially Taliban suburbia. I'm sure many of you have seen on the news the horrible atrocities that the Taliban can do with their improvised explosive devices aka IEDs. But, the Lord was more powerful than any human-devised weapon and I'm now sitting safely at my home base here in Khowst enjoying a warm shower, internet, phone calls to home, and my OWN room! Praise the Lord!


"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust...For He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways."
Psalm 91: 2, 11 KJV

1 comment:

Gemma said...

yay for privacy! ;* will you have phone/internet access in your room?